Ask the almost 70-thousand taxpayers in Townsville who’ll have more money in their pockets through income tax relief if they support Cathy O’Toole’s ludicrous claims that there’s nothing in the Budget for Townsville - and chances are they will most certainly disagree.
Northern based Federal Government Senator Ian Macdonald said low and middle income earners are the big winners in Budget 2018-19.
“The number one issue raised by locals is cost of living pressures and this Turnbull Government Budget delivers the hip pocket relief that families in Townsville have been calling for,” Senator Macdonald said.
“Our small and medium business tax cuts will help 12, 967 local Townsville businesses, supporting them as they boost the region’s economy and employ local people.
“We’ve also announced an extension of the popular instant asset write off for small businesses, so those with a turnover of up to $10 million can benefit from writing off assets costing less than $20,000.
“7, 725 families in Townsville stand to benefit from the government’s new child care system which is making childcare more accessible and affordable for families.
“The Australian Government is also supporting older residents in Townsville to stay in their homes for longer, with an additional 14,000 high level home care places nationally.
Budget 2018-19 outlines a major infrastructure spend which will benefit Townsville, including:
- $5.2 billion for priority regional and urban infrastructure in Queensland.
- $3.3 billion to continue funding to the Bruce Highway, bringing the Australian Government’s total commitment to $10 billion.
- $3.5 billion Roads of Strategic importance initiative, with $1.5 billion has allocated to roads in Northern Australia
- $160 million has been committed to the Outback Way
- $200 million to deliver a third round of the Building Better Regions Fund, bringing the total commitment to the program to $641.6 million.
- $22.5 million for the fourth round of the Stronger Communities Programme
- $24 million over four years to the Remote Airstrip Upgrade
“The real losers in Budget 2018-19 are tech giants, tax cheats and crims, welfare rorters and foreign companies. I can’t see too many people in Townsville complaining about that,” Senator Macdonald said.
“Perhaps the Member for Herbert is representing some of those losers in her criticism of the Budget?”