Local businesses and the region’s large veterans’ community are being encouraged to nominate for the inaugural Veterans’ Employment Awards.
Townsville based Government Senator Ian Macdonald said the Veterans’ Employment Awards, announced today, will recognise businesses and organisations that create employment opportunities for veterans and spouses of serving Defence members. It will also recognise veterans who have made a significant contribution to their workplace.
“Being home to the country’s largest defence base, there are many local businesses across the Townsville region who are making a valuable contribution to our veteran community, and these awards are a way of recognising them,” Senator Macdonald said.
The Veterans’ Employment Awards have been established as part of the Prime Minister’s Veterans’ Employment Initiative, which aims to improve the post-service employability of veterans.
“In the ADF, our personnel work in high-pressure environments and learn skills such as problem-solving, teamwork, leadership and the ability to adapt to new technologies – all of which are extremely valuable skills in the labour market.
“I know there are a growing number of local businesses across the region who are employing veterans and using their skills to succeed.”
The Veterans’ Employment Awards were developed by the Industry Advisory Committee (IAC) on Veterans’ Employment.
The categories for the awards include:
- Leadership in Recruitment of Veterans
- Veteran Employee of the Year – Workplace Contribution
- Veterans’ Employer of the Year – Large Business
- Veterans’ Employer of the Year – Small to Medium-sized Business
- Veterans’ Employer of the Year – Public Sector Organisation
- Excellence in Supporting Veterans’ Employment
- Outstanding Contribution by an Individual to Veterans’ Employment
- Excellence in Supporting Spouse Employment
- Outstanding Contribution by an Organisation to Veteran’s Employment.
Nominations for the Awards are open until 22 December 2017 and can be submitted at www.veteransemployment.gov.au.