High farce at Estimates on Bruce Highway funding


Questioning at Senate Estimates hearings today revealed that the Prime Ministers much spun announcement of $4.1 billion of road funding for the Bruce Highway made in Mackay on April 24 this year was nothing but pre-election high farce

Ian Macdonald, Queensland Senator and Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Northern and Remote Australia, said that departmental officials conceded that the funding package consists of money that has already been allocated, and spent, as well as money that will be dedicated to the road over a decade.

Clearly the announcement was all about treating Queenslanders like fools, Senator Macdonald said.

We Queenslanders will remember Ms Gillards arrogance.

Of the $4.1 billion announced last month, $1.2 billion has already been spent in the current financial year 2012/13, some 10 months before the announcement was made.

A further 1.844 billion is expected to be spent in the financial years 2014/15 through to 2018/19. And the final component of $1.094 billion is to be spent in the financial years 2019/20 through 2023/24.

This means there never was $4.1 billion in funding it was $2.9 billion. And it is this $2.9 billion that will be spread across ten years, the Senator said.

The farcical nature of the governments funding announcements was topped only by the humour of Senator Thistlewaite, representing Minister Albanese, who said that the committee could be confident in the Gillard government financial projections a comment which broke the Committee up in laughter!

It is little wonder that Queenslanders have given up listening to the Gillard Government.

Back to List