$300 million funding to help North Queensland farmers


Saturday, 23rd March 2019

$300 million funding to help North Queensland farmers

The Morrison Government is doing everything possible to get farmers back on their feet, with the announcement today that flood-affected North Queensland farmers struggling to rebuild their lives and properties will receive $300 million in funding support from the Australian Government across two grant programs.

The Australian Government has provided $150 million to support restocking and replanting and another $150 million to replace on-farm infrastructure lost or damaged during the floods.

Northern-based Queensland Senator Ian Macdonald said primary producers can apply for a total of up to $400,000 through the two grants.

“Being Queensland’s only northern-based Senator, I have seen and experienced first-hand the severe droughts our North Queensland farmers have battled through. Last month’s floods have seen these farmers lose everything and they are struggling,” Senator Macdonald said.

“It is critical that we support our farmers in the north during these times of natural disasters and this is what the Australian Government is trying to achieve through this seed funding – getting them back on their feet.

“Our farmers have lost livestock, crops and farm equipment and there is still a lot of work to be done and the government wants to help.”

Farmers will contribute up to 50 per cent of the total cost, and the Australian government, through these grants, will provide the other 50 per cent up to $400,000.

Senator Macdonald said the Australian Government will work closely with the Queensland Government to build off existing delivery mechanisms to make it as easy as possible for primary producers to access the grants.

“Prime Minister Scott Morrison has confirmed that we are aiming for this money to be available as soon as possible and are working with our Queensland government colleagues to ensure flood-affected farmers receive this money as seamlessly and quickly as possible,” Senator Macdonald said.

Today’s announcement builds on the already almost $200 million in immediate assistance committed to people affected by extensive flooding in North and Far North Queensland earlier this year.

Back to List